Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

Steve Newport wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:03:27 -0400, Vandy Terre
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:41:53 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

For those who own chickens that spend at least part of the day in a coop, try
tossing the shredded paper/ leaves/ small twigs under the perch. This will act
as a mat to absorb chicken droppings and can be more easily moved to the compost
pile. Yes, the birds will scatter it hunting for treats. Just rake it together
when time to clean the coop.

Not used paper but we do use sawdust and then transfer to the compost
bin. Waiting to see how (if?) that composts.

We used sawdust and wood shavings from a cabinet shop under our chicken
roost 40 years ago with great success. Leave it lay there, the chickens
scratch in it for tidbits and it self-composts in place. Once a month,
or sooner, we would haul it over to the compost heap. Occasionally, if
we were very busy it would go straight to the fallow part of the garden
and get turned under. With chicken manure you have to make certain is is
no longer hot or it will burn the crop. Rabbit manure, in my experience,
can be put straight into the garden with no problems.

George