Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default Teak Oil recommendation

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2007 20:26:10 +0100, BoyPete wrote:

Stickems. wrote:
Why do you want to put teak oil on your table. Is it for cosmetic
reasons or is it because you want to stop the wood from
deteriorating. If for the second reason, it would be a waste of
effort because putting on teak oil will make no difference at all.

And that dramatic statement is based on what facts..........?

We've got a rather expensive (Hartman) teak table BP. The instructions
clearly state that putting teak oil on the table will not extend it's
life. Without the oil it will turn a grey colour but will last just
as long.

Having said that I *do* put teak oil on the table cos it looks *so*
much nicer - yep - just cosmetic I suppose !

Oh, I'm aware of what your instuctions might say..........I've read it
elsewhere too.
If you take a chunk of oily wood like teak, and .............lets
say........treat it as 'alive'. If you don't oil it, the surface effectively
'dies'. This will then, over time, absorb water. The eventual effect will be
that the wood becomes spongey, and looses it's strength. Now, I appreciate
that this is not a major problem with garden furniture, but on a boat, it's
a different matter. I've got the T-shirt, having to build a steamer to bend
new hand rails, toe rails and decking on a boat. This, on a yacht surveyors
instructions, before I could insure it. That's my 'opinion' based on facts
of life. Of course, I accept the right of others to differ..............
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK