Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina 3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina is offline

Default Image sizes, displayed vs actual.

"Joan F (MI)" wrote in message
Duh! You leave the original as is and save the reduced size for posting
as
a separate file. The originals from my camera are 2560 x 1920 px, far
larger than will fit on any average user's monitor and the file sizes are
as
large as 2 MB, no one wants to download a bunch of files that large. The
only time you need all that information is if you are making very large
prints.

I tried to say something similar, but was accused of criticizing.
Somewhere along similar lines a question was raised about posting
(uploading) to these photo groups using a dpi of 300. Then the objection
was that monitors only display at a much lesser dpi. So all this
mumble-jumble only leads to more confusion. But I agree. I don't or
wouldn't post an original, unedited photo straight from the memory card. I
always save off the original to a dvd/cd for future use. Resize and edit
for posting. Dial-up, DSL, Cable. Doesn't matter. And how many of us
remember that we have downloaded tons of megabytes that are still sitting in
a file on your computer?