Old 28-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Question about Phalenopsis Breeders

Sandy,

I'm with you on this one. White Phals are BORING!

I believe they are in demand because of interior decorators. If you open
any Home Beautiful, Southern Living, Better Homes and Gardens, etc magazine
you will see the required white phal in the decorating scheme.

If it's not a white phal then you'll probably see a yellow oncidium or a
dendrobium in a fancy pot.

Another demand for whites is the wedding industry. A nosegay of white phals
and dendrobiums would make even the ugliest bride look good (I probably
should say that in public). Someone once told me that a bride once came to
him and wanted white phal blossoms floating in a fountain at her reception.
I think he cut the flowers from about 100 plants to get her dream.

One year I was at the Little Greenhouse in Baltimore just before
Thanksgiving. I was warned to be careful around the white phals because
they are in demand for the Jewish holiday season. I asked some Jewish
friends why this was so and they never heard of such a thing. I suspect
that if you are decorating a table in the Blue and White colors of the
season the white phals fit in well.

As I'm sitting here writing this I happened to look up at the TV and noticed
that I have a big white Phal on the end table. Ok .... it's not that boring
and looks nice there.

Good Growing,
Gene