Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Daffodils that don't bloom

Johnny Borborigmi wrote:

Daffs tend to bury themselves deeper after a few years and that will
stop blooming. After the foliage dies back separate and replant them.
4-6 inches deep.

I don't find that to be true at all (that they stop blooming because
they are too deep). I plant my Daffodils 8 inches deep (because I plant
annuals on top of them and don't want to disturb the bulbs) and they
keep blooming (and multiply) every year.

Daffodils stop blooming because the soil is very poor and/or the foliage
is not left in place long enough for the new bloom (for next year) to
develop. Deadheading and applying bone meal will help keep them
blooming every year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years