Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Help preparing for Winter.

On Thu, 3 May 2007 04:20:27 CST, "Bindi"
wrote:

I am feeding a mix with spirulina in it now. Can you feed All Bran people
cereal? The little stick kind.
I was told that wheat germ is good for feeding in cold weather but I have
trouble getting it here so I
was thinking that All bran might be ok.

I wouldn't feed bran or corn seed, too much will not be digested and
wind up on the bottom rotting slowly. Not good in a liner pond,
probably worse in an ice covered liner pond.

There is some controversy over feeding carbohydrates to fish at all,
even though some Japanese pond keepers have been doing it in colder
weather for centuries. Koi don't find cereals at the bottom of a mud
pond, but live things and algae. I'm a dummy and don't know which
side of the argument is right, so I continue to feed the same diet in
winter as summer, just not as much of it. It seems to me, the algae
seems to change a bit in winter, but crustaceans, mollusks and worms
living in the mud bottom of a pond (The natural habitat for carp
fish.) are the pretty much the same year round.

Regards,

Hal