Old 03-05-2007, 04:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default It didn't pay for me to start my own from seed.

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

In general, in the US it probably doesn't *pay* to grow peppers at
all. By the time you can grow them in a garden the local farmers
market is practically giving them away. Same with tomatoes.

Ah, a cup of coffee and a good morning rant.

Jim, have you ever tasted a grilled red bell pepper minutes from the
garden? Have you ever tasted fresh-picked home-grown lettuce? Have you
ever tasted fresh-picked parsnips? I find it hard to believe that you
have. Super markets aside, even the farmers of farmers markets have to
grow for quantity. Fast grown plants just don't have the flavor of
plants that have been allowed to develop in a more natural environment
e.g. home grown lettuce has a bitter edge which you won't find in fast
grown lettuce. Growing at home allows you to have vegetables, when you
want them, in the quantity you want. As you correctly noted, home
gardening lets you pick the type of vegetable or fruit you want, which
leads to comparing and contrasting and, good dinner conversation which
is the sine qua non of good dining. (I think we've all had enough
conversation about those bar-sinistered types at 1600 Pennsylvannia Ave.)

Additionally, the provenance of our food has lately intruded into the
headlines. If you produce your own fruit and vegetables, you will have a
much better grasp of the quantity of escherichia coli (= fresh manure),
organophosphates or, glyphosate, in and on your food, than if you buy
them from a friendly stranger. At the very least, during the summer
months you can give your liver a rest from detoxifying the vegetables
that you eat.

So, yes Jim, from a strictly bottom line appraisal (future health costs
aside), gardening doesn't make much sense. Esthetically, though, there's
not much that can compare except music and, visual arts.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)