Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Allan Adler Allan Adler is offline

Default clogged plumbing

writes:

Algae are photosynthetic, and drains are kind of dark for photosynthesis.
Bathroom sink drains generally get clogged with hair, which gets wrapped
around structures in the drain. Other debris and soaps stick to the clots
and the whole mess is a good substrate for a large variety of microbes.
Soap is pretty nutritious stuff. This sort of mixed culture is sometimes
called biofilm and is very common on submerged or wet objects where there's
a source of nutrients.

Thanks for answering my questions.

All this probably belongs in a home maintenance newsgroup, or maybe a
basic life skills one.

Yes, you're right. I was so convinced it was algae that I thought it fit
under botany.

I guess one reason I didn't think about photosynthesis ruling out algae
growing in a dark pipe is that I've lived in places where the water
smelled because of brown algae in the water supply.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler