Old 03-05-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Tomato seeds not germinating

On 1 May, 09:04, "MikeCT" wrote:
Try as I might, and unlike Monty Don, I am unable to get my ''Gardener's
Delight' tomato seeds to germinate. Should tomato seeds be germinated in the
dark or the light? May 1st. now and I'm fast running out of patience.

I now germinate all my seeds with 100% success with a mix of JI seeds
compost mixed in with perlite (not vermiculite as I keep saying when I
talk about it). All my seeds are under propagators, no heat, just a
plastic cover and if I have pots I use plastic bags to make a little
propagator. I now have all type of propagator, from the one with a
little fleece at the bottom, the polysterene ones and the simple black
tray with a clear lid. All seeds need air via good drainage, light,
warmth and a light compost. Once watered the condensation will keep
the environment in the propagator moist. There is nothing that can go
wrong in this way - there's no chance for the seeds to fail. The only
thing is that if you water too much you'll create a fungi and your
seedlings will die.

I used to put everything on window seals (I don't have a greenhouse)
and turn the tray/pots around to stop the seedling bending, watering
them often and one simply hasn't enough window seals ... I would very
much recommend the way above. It saves time, money and most of all
disapointment.