Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Prof.Zooks

Default When to plant outside

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:26:10 GMT, "Prof.Zooks"
wrote:

If you have a tiller and presuming your soil is not sink-in-up-to-your-
ankles wet, try setting your tiller to its minimum depth and run over
your garden at high speed. This will break up the soil. Exposing it to
the air will help it dry much faster!

Thanks. No tiller: we'll have to rent one this year. We
need to till some areas close to the house also (rhubarb,
gooseberries) and the friend's tractor that generally tills
our garden can't get close enough to the house.

$35 a day tiller rental! Ouch. But necessary this year.

We are also *hoping* to use the tiller to remove the
[Damnable Black Plastic 'Landscaping Fabric'] that some
idiot put in our front flower beds. The stuff does NOT keep
out the weeds but DOES prevent planting anything else. If
the tiller won't chop it up, we'll have to dig out every
inch of the front flower beds...ugh.

I think, though, that I'm going to try covering the garden
with clear plastic to (a) keep off the rain and (b) warm up
the ground.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

I would hesitate to use the tiller on the plastic. It will probably turn
the stuff into the soil and you'll be picking bits & pieces out for
years to come...

Regards,
PZ.