Old 04-05-2007, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Peas

"Alison gill" wrote in message
Can anyone help please, just started on an allotment and despite reading
up
on it I'm still feeling a bit lost. I've planted some klevdon wonder peas
which are growing well and today I put well rotted down manure all round
them as a feed and a mulch. I'm now not sure if I should have done this
and
don't want to undo the good results I've had so far. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Peas set their own nitrogen but they do like good food so the manure won't
do them any harm at all I wouldn't think and it should also work as a mulch.
Lime/dolomite or ashes from your wood fire is probably more important as
peas don't like sour soil and nor do they like poor drainage.

One old way of growing them that seems to work for me is to big a deepish
trench and then to put lots of nutrients in the bottom, top this with soil
and then plant the seeds - this works well if space is short.