Old 05-05-2007, 12:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Cox ride-on mower throws belts.

G'day Max

Phew...now I'm searching the old grey matter because we had exactly the
same problem with a Cox many years ago, although it was only one of the
many problems!! Don't start me!! LOL

What we did was cut a bracket from some gal angle and attach it to the
mower deck (can't remember exactly where). Attached to the bracket was a
roller bearing that came out of something else that was lying
around...our spare parts dept was a bit of a dog's breakfast and
contained all sorts of stuff. All good for something at some time or
other!!! LOL

Anyway, the bracket that was attached to the mower deck meant that the
belt had to run in a fairly tight space and couldn't fling itself off
the pulley. I seem to remember that we bought an incorrect size belt
(on purpose) too, but can't think if it was larger or smaller. I do
remember though, that we tried a breakable link belt but that was
disastrous, they are easy to fit but stretch like crazy.

Sorry I can't be anymore specific, it was a longggg time ago, but hope
this might start the ball rolling.

Bronwyn ;-)

Max wrote:
G'day.

Looks like a nice friendly newsgroup you have here.

I was wondering if any of you good people would know a fix for a Cox
ride-on mower that throws belts? My next door neighbour wants to sell
his 6 year old Cox mower for $1,000. But he also doesn't want to sell
it because it has thrown belt on a regular basis since it was new. He
reckons that his ears would never stop burning! :-) He says it's a twin
rotor with a belt that you just about need a road map to replace.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Max