Old 05-05-2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Need advice for fertilizing tomatoes in pots

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...
This will be my second year of growing tomatoes in 5 gallon pots. Last
year I think I did pretty darn good considering it was my first year,
the weather was unstable, and I have a black thumb (I'm so bad at
gardening I even kill grass).

I think last year my biggest mistakes were not using a good fertilizer
(I used imitation Miracle Gro) and lack of calcium. That and those
pesky hornworms that ate two out of three of my tomato plants (I
really hate those creepy little things).

I live in a small town and it's very difficult to buy fertilizers
unless you want to get something in bulk, which I don't. I think I can
get Bone Meal at a local store and I have some imitation Miracle Gro.
Other than that, there's not really much available.

My plan was to mix the potting soil and Bone Meal when I plant the
tomatoes, but how much Bone Meal should I add?

After that, how often should I feed the tomatoes? And what can I use?
Like I said before, I limited in choices and I know I can get Miracle
Gro and maybe Bone Meal. I may be able to get Fish Emulsion, but what
kind of store typically sells that?

Will the Bone Meal and possibly Fish Emulsion be good enough for
fertilizing? And will they provide enough calcium? I'm assuming
Miracle Gro is a poor choice of tomato fertilizer, correct?

I tried a raised bed garden. 10X10. Last year, used potting soil and 1-2-2
ratio fertilizer. Didn't fare that well. May have been the hot weather, no
rain.

This year, added 4" more depth. Used sandy loam, and a little pine bark
mulch, with the same 1-2-2 ratio fertilizer. All mixed with last years
stuff. 2 better boys are sprouting flowers already. Think I'm in trouble
cuz I've got 12 going. 6 big boys/6 better boys. They did have leaf
trouble for awhile, some kind of blight. All but one is over it.

Maters seem to like feast and famine with water here. They seem to fight
back if I don't keep them wet everyday. Otherwise, mostly just lay there if
I do. Guessing its promoting root growth.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins