Old 05-05-2007, 07:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default okra

hoping for an idea on my okra problems, but i'm aware okra is (quite
rightly!!!) not particularly popular, so maybe i'm whistling :-)

had 8 plants, & all but one were pretty healthy & grew to the appropriate
height, etc (one was stunted). all had loads of flowers. what i found over
summer was that as each flower fell off, the bud, instead of growing on into
a pod, would just shrivel back to the stalk as soon as the petals fell off.
over all of summer, dh got, iirc, 3 pods in total :-) the plants would grow
& flourish & continue on regardless, but all covered in withered knobbles on
dead stalks. ;-)

one thing i did notice about them was that black ants (the slightly larger
kind, about 4mm long) were terribly attracted to the flowers. other than
that, nothing odd to report. i think it might be too cool here for them
really (i had a notable lack of success with my watermelon too - they simply
just never got ripe) so perhaps that is part of the problem?

when i pulled the okras out today, i did notice that the roots were all sort
of lumpy & gnarly & twisted, a bit like pictures of clubroot on brassicas
that i have seen, but i don't know if that is significant because i don't
know what they're meant to look like anyway. :-)

thanks if anyone has any ideas.
kylie