Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Dealing with my Neighbor's Yard

On May 4, 7:13 pm, "Peter Pan" wrote:
I was told by the LESCO guy that the ground at that time was still too cold
to apply the fertizler that we just used, he said it needed to warm up some.

If the product your talking about is a weed n feed type, his concern
may have been that the herbicide contained in the product would not be
as effective since many of the weeds were not growing as actively at
that time. Otherwise, there is no reason you couldn't have put down
fertilizer at that time to benefit the lawn.

Here in NJ it's been rather below the adverage temp for a while. And here Al
Gore says we're suffereing from global warming HA!! what does he know.
I didn't know that if we seeded now we can not do it again in the fall. can
you tell me why that is, I always thought you could seed 2x a year. but
then again I'm not a professional, I only play one on TV
Thanks

I didn't say you couldn't do it again in the Fall. I just said, if
you haven't done it yet, I would not do it till Fall. You just
applied a herbicide that says you can't seed for 4 weeks. That puts
you into June. At that point, it's difficult. Sure, you can do it.
But it's going to take a hell of a lot of water to keep the ground
constantly damp. And then you have turf with very little root going
into July/August, which means plenty of water then too. And you have
cool season grass, which prefers to slow down growth or go dormant in
hot weather. And with plenty of water and sparse turf comes plenty
of weeds. And finally, keeping the grass constantly wet during hot
weather is the perfect prescription for fungus and disease. If you
wait till Fall, you have nature on your side. Bottom line, if I had
a small patch to reseed, I'd do it, but not attempt a whole lawn
renovation type project.

Wait till early Sept, then rent a slice seeder and do it right. And
depending on what condition the lawn is in, you may want to just kill
the whole thing a week before. For example, if the existing grass is
of poor quality, rough, not a great color, disease prone, etc, then
I'd get rid of it all, and start over with a good high quality seed of
the appropriate type.

wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 4, 6:41 am, wrote:
On May 3, 9:28 pm, Jim wrote:

Peter Pan wrote:
Jim wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:

[....]
or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?
Yes I was joking...

[....]

I'm glad you were just joking.

Usually, you don't get rid of the weeds that die, you just keep mowing
and they disappear. Sounds like you must have more weeds than grass.

PS: You mentioned that you can't reseed for 4 weeks. I'd forget
about reseeding until Sept. If you wanted to seed in Spring, it
should have been done a month ago.- Hide quoted text -