Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue[_2_] Sue[_2_] is offline

Default First crop picked...........

On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:24:08 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

"William Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

"Manelli Family" wrote in message
We had our first greens from the garden tonight; fresh young collards!
The Swiss chard will be the next greens. They get cooked with olive oil
and browned garlic. And no fear of e-coli or toxic poisons on any of
it.

Why would collards have E-coli?

This is an allusion to a problem with fresh spinach from California,
that had been infected with contaminated water.
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis...fornia-spinach
-farms.html
No excrement, no e.coli. 'nuff said. Uh, however, to be on the safe
side, when you cook a hamburger, be sure it is brown or grey on the
inside, when you serve it (not pink). Otherwise, don't worry about it
and chow down. Courtesy of the USDA.

- Bill

Can I have a garden burger, well done?

Sorry, gotta have the pink in my burgers/beef. Still alive and kickin,
enjoying my food as well. Like Puckdropper said, like my salad on it too.
Though, I don't consider ketchup a vegetable. More refined sugar than
anything else in its taste.

Ronald Reagan thought it was a vegetable, but isn't ketchup actually a
"fruit sauce"?
Last year I "canned" ketchup - a one time deal that I will *never* do
again. All those tomatoes, all that time and I ended up with 1 pint
(instead of the promised two pints). I've been afraid to even try it
(for fear it's just awful and a waste of time and tomatoes) and have
told my children that I'm leaving it to them in my estate.
Sue