Old 05-05-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default What is the best cherry tomato plant for growing in pots on balcony?

SharkMan BMW wrote:
My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day.
If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada.
I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited
to growing in pots on my balcony.
Thank you for your input!
(I don't know the best group to post this question, so I've posted it in a
few spots. Sorry if that's annoying...)

Almost anything that your local nursery sells should grow nicely there.
The seedlings would be available near the end of May. (Seedlings are the
best way for the new grower to start). All you need is a nice sized pot
(I use 30L pails) filled with potting soil (not topsoil as it's too
compact) and make sure you water daily.

New potting soil has enough fertilizer in it to do the plant for the one
season but you can consider adding a little tomato fertilizer according
to directions provided on the package. With the tomatoes, I use new
potting soil every year because tomatoes can pass on disease in the soil
from year to year.

If frost is forecast for any evening, just take the tomato inside for
the night.

..

MMVIII