Old 28-03-2003, 10:20 PM
shannie

Default Seedlings going mouldy

This is in no way scientific, just something that worked for us. My daughter
on a walk two years ago picked up an acorn. She put it in some potting
compost and we left it on our bathroom window sill. (west facing) it
sprouted and grew to about twelve inches over time. Last summer I put it out
in the front garden still in its pot in the sun one day and promptly forgot
all about it! Whilst out in the garden the other day I spotted it and lo and
behold it has three small branches with a sticky bud on each, it survived
the entire autumn and winter (the wettest in this area on record).Today I
planted in a nursery bed it had a lovely big healthy looking root system.
With a bit of luck her great grandchildren will tell the story of how it was
grown. Im sure if we'd nurtured it we'd probably have killed it. We also
have a chestnut tree a little over 6' tall now that one of the kids had for
a game of 'conkers' seven years ago, again I just stuck it in some potting
compost and left it on a window sill till it show'd some growth and put it
outside, its lovely and healthy covered in sticky buds, when it's in full
leaf I'll post some pics.

Shan(Ireland)

"Barbara B" wrote in message
. ..
Also his oak tree seedlings which have been growing nicely in
the conservatory all winter have mould on the compost. He is trying to

grow
wild and native trees and shrubs for his 2 acres of organic bird friendly
garden.