Old 05-05-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
topo topo is offline

Default mowers from homebase

On Sat, 5 May 2007 17:11:36 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:

topo wrote:

On Fri, 4 May 2007 17:51:35 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle......

I bought a Qualcast Trojan Self propelled 18 ins blade mower from
Homebase when I started my gardening business six years ago ...

How do you find working as a gardener - like it?
How quiet does it get over the winter months?
And how long did it take you before you were making money - did you
already have customers before starting?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself, but I worry about getting
customers.
Thanks
Alan.

I love it ... working oudoors ( especially with weather at moment ) I
was in profit after first year - after capital investment on equipment
etc. However I was 54 when I started and didn't have a mortgage etc.
started off part time & soon built up regular customer base &
maintenance round etc. snowballed from there - earn good money with
chainsaw work - nothing serious but learnt how to use a chainsaw 20
years ago . Also doing landscaping / design projects. Yes Winter
months are quiet but then I do property maintenance + handyman work
which makes a nice change . Usually busy 10 months of year with enough
work for me alone which means I able to keep my prices competitive
without all the extra cost & hastle of employees etc. Also only travel
15 miles or so a day!
However if I was younger I would take on one or two to help as there
is plenty of work out there especially with pubs , offices etc.
Plenty of people are money rich & time poor or lack the essential
expertise & plant knowledge . I'm no horticulturist but have * green
fingers * and u can always get help on Web ......... here is as good a
place as any :-)
All the new houses being built need gardens - designed & constructed
& people are moving all the time . I have some clients where I have
done 3 different gardens for them !

Where do you live if I can be of any further help let me know
Good reading is * Starting your own Gardening Business * by Paul Power