Old 06-05-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default fruit tree to grow in the balcony

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

Ersalan Rahman wrote:
Are there any fruit trees one can grow in a large pot in the balcony?
I live in the sourthern US with a fairly warm climate.

Ersalan

I agree that dwarf citrus in a container might be good. However, check
carefully to be sure the balcony can carry the weight. My citrus cannot
be moved except by two very strong people.

For more information, see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html.

You can buy a little dolly unit that goes under the planters,
so you can move them around.

My 83 y/o mom grew dwarf citrus on her deck in N. California.
She was able to scoot them under cover when frost threatened.

Jan in Alaksa

A wheeled dolly makes it easier to move a planter, but it doesn't make
the planter any lighter. Further, with the weight resting on only three
or four wheels instead of the entire base of the planter, you increase
the risk of damaging the surface of the balcony.

The first issue is whether the balcony can support the weight of a
planter. If it can support the weight of 2-3 adults, it likely can
support the planter. Just limit the load to only one person.

The second issue is whether the balcony surface can withstand a load of
150 lbb per square-inch (a dolly with four wheels). That's a much
greater load than 2 lbb per square-inch from a planter base that's 20
inches in diameter.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean