Old 06-05-2007, 05:26 AM posted to alt.conspiracy,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,misc.survivalism,rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Bees, Hornets, and Global "Warming"

"Hurt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Could this be why bees are disappearing?

Yesterday evening, while waiting for a bus, I noticed a bunch of bees
dead on the pavement. I also noticed a hornet trying to carry away a
dead bee body. Now I've seen this before so I figured that bees and
hornets fight. And they do. Now I thought to myself, what if the
missing bees are succumbing to a greater number or to the activity of
hornets that is somehow related to global "warming". So I did a
little "googling" and BINGO, a potential link. It turns out that
hornets can be more active when exposed to more UV light because they
stay cooler! So if greater solar activity is causing more UV light
and warming, which I believe it is, it could also explain the missing
bees. (See article)

Any comments?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.conspiracy/topics

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/7/6/2/1

Insects stay cool with thermoelectricity

Researchers in Israel have found the first evidence for natural heat
pumps in living creatures. David Bergman and colleagues from Tel Aviv
University used infrared imaging to show that wasps can sometimes
remain much cooler than their surroundings. This is also the first
time that the thermoelectric effect has been seen to play a role in
the physiology of an animal (J S Ishay et al. 2003 Phys. Rev. Lett 90
218102).

Some wasps and hornets live in parts of the world where local
temperatures can reach 60 oC or more. 'Social' wasps live in nests and
regularly go outside to forage for food. During such activities the
wasp produces heat that originates in its flight muscles and then
spreads throughout the rest of its body. This should make the wasps
even hotter but in experiments with oriental hornets Bergman and co-
workers found that the internal body temperature of the wasps could be
significantly cooler than the ambient temperature.

The Israeli workers argue that the insect must possess a heat pump,
which works by using power generated from electrochemical reactions in
its body. They believe that additional power is generated by the
photovoltaic effect in the hornet's shell. This means that an
electrical current is produced when the shell is exposed to sunlight -
in a mechanism similar to that in a semiconductor p-n junction when
irradiated with visible or ultraviolet light. "This could explain how
hornets remain active even on very hot summer days," Bergman told
PhysicsWeb.

The researchers also took transmission and scanning electron
micrographs of the shell. They observed a microstructure that was very
similar to that of a practical thermoelectric heat pump - but on a
different length scale (see figure).

No. The reason for the decline is a mistake of the corporate farming groups
in their attempt to block local gardening. IE corner the food market. They
suffer the same results.
--
Dave