Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James James is offline

Default Growing garlic

On May 5, 7:10 pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
I want to grow some garlic, but can I just use the elephant garlic I buy at
the store and just plant the cloves or do I have to do something different?
Never seen garlic plants or anything garlic at the garden centers. In zone
5.

TIA

Jimmy

My elephant garlic were from the supermarket a few years ago. The
first several years I didn't eat any but replanted everything. Now I
plant over 100 every year in the fall. It takes 2 years to produce
really big ones. You take the one year olds that are rounds that
didn't develop cloves and plant them for giants. Some rounds are as
big as a baseball.