Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
terry[_2_] terry[_2_] is offline

Default Greenhouse Cropped Bolts Source

On May 6, 11:07 am, judith wrote:
I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch) cropped
bolts.

Found at Two Wests and Elliott (www.twowests.co.uk) - also a good
range of other garden stuff

Excellent postal service.

(I'm nothing to do with them other than as a customer)

Quote: "I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch)
cropped bolts".

Excuse this, because I'm not trying to be obtuse! Or even funny!

Three quarter inch bolts are pretty short; eh?.

But the interaction of the two words 'Greenhouse' and 'cropped' have
me confused!

With visions of bolts being 'cropped' (like green house peas/tomatoes)
before they are grown to full size, in mind; please what is a
'cropped' bolt?

Presumably of a certain short size/length etc. But if so bolts can
usually be shortened fairly quickly by cutting off with a hack saw or
grinder? If there is concern about galvanised ones rusting where cut
off some paint after installation will often help. Wouldn't take long
to do a couple of dozen?

BTW when shortening a bolt/screw we usually put on a nut and screw it
off after the cutting to help clean out the cut-off threads. Seems
easier that trying to put a fresh nut onto the newly cut-off and often
rough edged threads.

Just curious about 'cropped' bolts??????????????????? Thanks.