Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Lionel Lionel is offline

Default Greenhouse Cropped Bolts Source

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:07:01 +0100, judith wrote:

|!I had really struggled to find some long (three quarter inch) cropped
|!bolts.

When I was an apprentice mumble years ago I *made* a tool to do this,
unfortunately metrication has made them useless. Must make a metric one.

It's the heads which are "cropped" so as to fit into slots and only turn a
few degrees before locking up. A nut on the bolt can then tightened.

If the bolts had been too long it would not have mattered so no jig required
and anyway, why not hold the bolt thread to be cut off in the vice?

The electrochemical potential difference between aluminium and most other
metals is such that the aluminium would corrode hence ally bolts are used.

I've often filed the heads of ally bolts to fit the slots.

Lionel