Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Growing garlic

Jimmy, I bought my first Elephant Garlic from our local grocery store, and
planted all 3 cloves. That was about 9 years ago. Now I have about 125
elephant garlic plants coming up and they will be ready for this years
harvest. I still have about 18 heads of it to give to a friend of mine from
last years harvest, and another 6 for my use until I harvest this years
crop.

I plant it at the end of August or early Sept. The next June or July they
are ready to harvest. I plant only the largest cloves off of the heads and
use or give away the rest. As long as I maintain this schedule, I get a
perfect crop each summer. If I am late planting it, the next year a lot of
them wont mature and I have to stick them back into the ground until the
following year. They also form small nodules on the sides of some of the
heads. Don't let them fall back into the ground. If you do, they will come
up the next year and wont develop into cloves. You will have to replant them
for the second year to give them a chance to mature.

Dwayne

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. ..
I want to grow some garlic, but can I just use the elephant garlic I buy at
the store and just plant the cloves or do I have to do something different?
Never seen garlic plants or anything garlic at the garden centers. In zone
5.

TIA

Jimmy