Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default dues

On 2 May 2007 08:31:08 -0700, wrote:
thanks for the reponses on dues; this new OS is going to start
nibbling around the idea of dues and i wanted to see what was
reasonable.

--j_a

Reasonable depends on what they spend dues on. Funds collected and
spent on education either specific projects (such as grow contests)
or speakers or programs can usually be increased. If it ends up in
the soda pop and party stuff most people get tired if it after a short
time and start questioning the 'reasonableness of the dues'. Get them
to work the budget backwards... What do we want to do and how much is
it going to cost. 3-4 projects, speakers or programs divided by the
number of people you want in the group. Now is the cost reasonable as
dues? Can we do more with just a bit more per person or do we have
other sources of funds which will allow us to do more?

Good luck growing the group. The problem with the 13-30 crowd is the
"networking" they do is on the net and they don't see the need for OS
or meeting type groups. IT is hard to capture them. They also do not
like the regimented schedule of once a month meetings. But we need
them if we are to keep OSs alive and well.