Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nil Nil is offline

Default Overgrown shrub

On 02 May 2007, " wrote in
alt.home.lawn.garden:

Assuming there's not a lot of rocks and such, not more than a
couple of hours. It can help if you cut some of the outer
branches to give you room to work, but leave enough of the main
trunk/branches to push and pull with, at least chest-high. Dig
near the dripline (two or three feet out from the trunk) where the
roots are smaller rather right next to the base. Anything too big
to cut by standing on your shovel blade, either chop with an axe
or clip with a pair of pruners (whatever you have that you don't
mind getting in the dirt, it may be worth getting a cheap pair of
pruners just for this). Some stuff will come out with only one
shovel depth, some take two or three.

Good stuff, thanks! The yew in question is planted in a walled-in
terrace-like area along my front steps, and there's no way to get a
vehicle or any large equipment. I don't think there's room for a
backhoe, either. But you make it sound like it could be done by hand
with some muscle and sweat, both of which I can spare. I'll save these
suggestions for later. Thanks again.