Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wane Smooth Wane Smooth is offline

Default Rats in the compost bin

On 6 May 2007 14:02:52 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , (Gregoire Kretz) writes:
| mewthree wrote:
|
| found a rat in the compost bin today. pounded the compost and it shot
| out. it got away but how do i stop it coming back and stop others living
| there?
|
| Maybe it was just searching for food? As long as you don't put any meat
| leftovers in there, as mentioned elsewhere on the thread, rats shouldn't
| be a problem.

As I have said before, that is an old wife's tale. It is possible
that there is a SLIGHT correlation, but in general it doesn't make
a damn of difference.

| As for nesting... They probably wouldn't like it if you keep adding
| stuff on top, or rummaging with a pitchfork, or even watering from time
| to time.

It's the rummaging that will put them off. Watering is likely to
be effective only if you use 100 gallons a cubic yard.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi All,yes watering does indeed work.I found rats in my compost Barrel,put
the hose in and left it about 10 mins and out shot 4 or five!They were
quick!
And they have not moved back in.
--
Regards From