Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM posted to aus.gardens
len garden len garden is offline

Default Cox ride-on mower throws belts.

i understand max,

we all ahve financila constaints especially at time of building a
home, but we still need to spend wisely.

greenfields not that much better than cox from this old mower
mechanics view point all friction drive and too many long belts.

the snapper is a good mower we used to sell them they are very
reliable chassis wise, the only consumables are the blade belt (if you
know the size ie.,. B36 then you can buy belts at any engineer supply
shop). the other wearing part is the driven wheel it has a rubber like
tyre on it so if you can determine that you can get them or repair the
old one then all should be ok. the b&s motor standard motor for most
machines easy to keep going and reliable if serviced well.

for me the choice with considerations would be the snapper.

when i mentioned raised root ball planting i was thinking fruit trees
etc, if you plant indemics they will grow better for you area, but you
can't ahve tall forest trees espically gum tree family on a property
that is not large enough for both tree and home etc.,.

the safe margin for one of those trees is its mature height plus 50%
for me i like to make that 100%, you don't need a storm for these
trees to fall over or drop major limbs. so you nearest gum tree to
your home and sheds will be about 80+ meters away.

you alkso have "duty of care" nowadays which means that if you have a
tree like that and it falls and damges neighbour or proerty you can
face littigation and probable heavy compensation and court costs.

if there is a rover rancher (the only model) around than grab that i
liked the old blue model with the 3 forward speed gear box think they
then came out with 5 or 6 speed gear box.

mini tractors do so much more than a mower ever will, check you local
papers people often sell them second hand, or check at tractor
dealerships get some kinowledge. buy a diesel they are pretty mush
unbreakable, ther are lots of brands and no doubt some better than
others but once you know what you are looking for you will narrow down
to a couple types.

ok they are a lot dearer than a rider mower (lot less dearer if you
buy second hand) but they just keep on keeping on. all you need do is
service them correctly (just as you need to do with a rider mower),
and they will be super reliable.

i think the smallest is around 18hp, but that hp with up to 18 gears
is far above comparing to the lowly hp of a rider mower. basic
tractor would ahve 3 point linkage set up and PTO. they come in 4x4
so if your block is mushy and slopey then 4x4 is the way to go. they
don't use belts they ahve proper gear boxes, transfer cases and
differentials. definately worth thinking about even if not now but the
near future maybe?

servicing is simply keeping the ari cleaner clean or replaced and
changing the engine oil & filter every i think 100 hours of work (most
come with an hour meter on the dash') too easy, easier n most cases
than doing a car.

keep chatting great stuff

On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:12:52 +1000, Max wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--