Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Biblical Plants

"Gill Matthews" Try the wrote in message
T...
In article ,

says...
Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the

bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

There is or at least used to be a 'bible garden' around Bangor Cathedral.
It had a large selection of plants mentioned in the Bible Growing in it
I think they my have planned to bag the lot but the climate in Palestine
and North Wales are not that similar ;-). Nevertheless there must be about
60 species that grew their that would presumably be available. I seem to
remember hyssop and myhrr.

Gill M

"Bitter herbs" are, I think, mentoned in the Old Testament. One of those
plants is Costmary, or Tanacetum balsamita, also known as bible leaf,
because it was used as a bookmark. It was also used to flavour beer in the
past, because it was bitter.

Hyssop is another one of those bitter herbs used for flavouring beer.

Also Silybum marianum, a serious thistle with green and white leaves, where
the white represents the Mary's milk. I found this growing in Petra in
Jordan, but it does well here in U.K. in the summer.

s.