Old 28-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Polar

Default Floating Seed Germination Test?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:36:00 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Sounds good in theory but doesn't always work in practice.
You will find many of the seeds that do float will germinate too.
You would be throwing away good seed.
You would actually be selecting for seeds that sink rather than discarding
seeds that are not viable.
Not the same thing at all.

If he feels he *has* to pre-test, maybe try the moist paper-towel
technique used by some on sweet pea seeds.

Alice Gamewell wrote in message
The ones that float are no good. I would plant the ones that sink.

city usa wrote:

I just put some morning glories seeds in to soak overnight for a quicker
germination. Some floated and some sank.. I seem to remember that is

they
floated that the seeds were no good. Or visa versa. Any help

appreciated.
Hate to plant them when there is a good chance they are bad.
Thanks

--
Harold Veeder

--