Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
Max[_3_] Max[_3_] is offline

Default rockery/rock garden

0tterbot wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
when people talk of a rockery or rock garden, what is it they mean? any
garden with rocks emerging above the surface, or is it more specific than
that?

Usually raised, rocks emerging and well drained.

similarly, if a plant is "good for rockeries", what does that mean? that
it drapes aesthetically over rocky bits, or is it a cultural notation?
(wants more heat & less water, or something like that?)

Generally the plants need good drainage and won't tolerate wet feet. It
could also mean that they drape well over rocks or cascade down rock faced
walls or a few other things as well.

i am gathering it's a code for a few different things. sigh!
klyie

When I think of them, I tend to think more of grottos. It must be my
Catholic school upbringing! :-) I would be described as a lapsed
Catholic these days though g. At various schools I went to, they had
some really beautiful grottos. Built from natural rock and old and moss
covered ferro-cement, with a garden seat inside to sit and pray. Always
complete with ferns growing from pockets in the walls, hanging baskets
dripping with chain-of-hearts, and a white statue of Mary holding baby
Jesus or Mary showing you the bleeding heart of Jesus with thorns and a
cross. All tucked away in some corner of the garden. As a kid these
grottos always seamed shrouded in beauty and very mystical and even
magical. Cool and dark and moist places, surrounded by roses, fruit
trees and grass, and outside that, the dry hot old NSW country side.
Probably the only good thing about going to Catholic boarding school.
Thanks for the memories Klyie! :-)

Remain in light.
-Max

--
"All my life, I always wanted to be somebody.
Now I see that I should have been more specific."