Old 07-05-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default alum

On Mon, 7 May 2007 08:43:41 CST, "Henry & Carolyn"
wrote:

How do you remove the sludge without emptying the whole pond?

How big (LXW) of a pond are we talking about? If over 8X10 & 3 feet deep
you will need to drain the pond. Those under that, with a width of 6 feet
or less, you can use a shop vac to suck out a lot, though depending on the
amount of gunk this might be more work, as you need to dump the canister.
At least the fish don't have to be removed and it doesn't foul the water
while doing the job.

Speaking of dumping the canister, I have some of the huge size of mesh
baskets. If I'd used them for plants I would not have been able to lift
them, I got them cheap at a yard/pond sale. (Apparently they realized they
couldn't lift them either.) They work really well as a sieve for this type
of dumping. Water and small particles flow out, but the main gunk stays,
dries and goes in the composter. ~ jan :-)
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us