Old 20-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Kay Lancaster

Default Compost Pile / Barrel

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:57:04 -0600, J Dubb wrote:
I am interested in starting a compost pile for my 12x6 garden, flowerbed,
and 5 small trees. I want to build or purchase something that is efficient
in decomposition and somewhat pleasing to the eye. Any recommendations that
you can offer in something suitable for my use is much appreciated? Thanks
for your time. Happy Gardening.

I'd suggest, since you've a small garden area and probably not enough
vegetable matter to compost efficiently, that you use your compostables
for "sheet composting" or mulching. This will *not* do anything about
disease organisms (the compost won't be hot enough to get the internal temp
up), but you will have the great advantage of adding organic matter to your
soil. Simplest method is just to lay the compostables out on the ground;
second easiest is to scuff a trench with a heel, lay in the compostables and
cover it back up, tidiest is probably to dig a trench between rows, gradually
filling and covering the trench.

Kay Lancaster