Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Anyone use there Diatom filter on the pond?

I opened the pond yesterday and did a large water change, but it was still a
little murky. So I decided to try the Diatom filter (Vortex XL) to clear
things up. I knew it would be slightly under powered, but I have a small
pond. But the biggest problem I had was keeping the thing primed, it kept
sucking the contents of the pickle jar into the pond. It seemed to have a
real problem maintaining it's prime, even with 1' of head. Would a Pro
Magnum be any more successful or is it just a waste of $$$s. I can always
use the Pro Magnum indoors too BTW, since the Vortex XL is such a hassle to
set up.