Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Anyone use there Diatom filter on the pond?

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I opened the pond yesterday and did a large water change, but it was still
a little murky. So I decided to try the Diatom filter (Vortex XL) to clear
things up. I knew it would be slightly under powered, but I have a small
pond. But the biggest problem I had was keeping the thing primed, it kept
sucking the contents of the pickle jar into the pond. It seemed to have a
real problem maintaining it's prime, even with 1' of head. Would a Pro
Magnum be any more successful or is it just a waste of $$$s. I can always
use the Pro Magnum indoors too BTW, since the Vortex XL is such a hassle to
set up.

My Vortex clogged with algae in less than 10 minutes. They're fine for
aquariums but not outdoor ponds.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.