Old 08-05-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Worm castings as top dressing

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2007 09:07:14 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

Couldn't you just buy a bale of hay from a feed store? A bale of hay
will cover a lot of area. Around here it is $5 from a store ans as low
as $3 from the grower.

- Bill

Hay is a great mulch for vegetable gardens, but please do yourself a
favor and only use alfalfa hay and not costal bermuda. You will never
forgive yourself!

Actually, I meant to say oat hay but on reflection I think straw would
do it but, then again I have no idea what I'm saying. Every profession
has it's own meaning for words and I'm just an average Joe (named Bill).
All I know is that I saw an ad in the paper for hay last year. I got me
three bales for $10 and enjoyed sitting on two of them for most of the
summer. Mulch, exterior lounge, and a wonderfully nostalgic smell, not a
bad deal. Before dinner, I'd have my happy hour there in the garden and
watch the butterflies, squirrels, birds and, finally the bats, all the
while nursing a large margarita (I find that it is easier and, just as
good to put the whole peeled lime in the blender with the triple sec,
tequila and, ice cubes). I have a little of the hay left. It's
decomposed a lot. Soon as it's gone I'm getting some more, even if I pay
a premium price. I might even move-up to the high priced alfalfa. No
since rushing it though. After 4 PM, and the shadows here get long, the
mosquitos come out. They should thin out soon but right now they are
oooogly.

'nite all
- Bill