Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Autumn planted potatoes

Pam Moore wrote:
On 7 May 2007 14:50:54 -0700, Dave Hill
wrote:

I was going to plant my potatoes in the Autumn, but the weather
prevented me from lifting all I had in, so they were left to grow on
for this year and are now around 12 inches tall.
My question is .... Has anyone here tried autumn planting of
Potatoes?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Only accidentallly where I missed digging quite a few. (Bad sight!) I
had a meal for two a couple of weeks ago!

Pam in Bristol

I,M not sure what you are asking Dave. Do you mean planting potatoes for
digging in the Winter? If so yes. On the other hand beds where I have
had potatoes the previous year drive me up the wall, as there are always
some left that come up like weeds. The problem with planting in Autumn
for the following year is that the frosts we normally get in April and
even May (I have known one on June 6th here in North Staffordshire) will
kill the new growth. It will re-grow but no earlier than planting normally.