Old 08-05-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Melanie Melanie is offline

Default How to get a fine tilth in iron hard land?

"Chris" wrote ...
I want to get a fine tilth for sowing parsnip seeds - and the ground is
hard as iron ... not baked clods ... but rather a hard smooth surface.
What can I do?

My allotment is clay so it bakes solid in dry weather and it's almost
impossible to make a fine tilth. I used a rotavator to loosen the top 6
inches or so of soil, then I bought bags of compost to spread on top in
order to create a better surface for sowing. Seems to be working okay.