Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Brown water!

did you get a pH on the water? landscape lime could be quicklime and
drive the pH up over 8.
you need dolomitic limestone, it is almost like sand, off white with
dark gray flecks, a little course. Ingrid

On Tue, 8 May 2007 05:49:53 CST, Joan wrote:

Hi, fellow ponders, and thanks for being there.

I did something dumb. I was trying to build a nice buffer in my pond
and added a bunch of landscaping lime in pellet form. Immediately,
the pond turned a cloudy brown, and it has remained cloudy and brown
now for weeks. I checked the manufacturer of the lime to see if it
had any tannins or iron, but there was none mentioned in their
literature, so I am thinking it must be just plain old mud.

Is this going to hurt the fish? Recommendations for how to clean this
mess up without changing water? My water is *finally* starting to
mature and I hate to rock the boat.

Thanks.

Joan in Oregon

P.S. Great idea about setting up a moderated group. Thanks to
whomever went to the trouble to get this going!