Old 08-05-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default alum

On Mon, 7 May 2007 08:43:41 CST, "Henry & Carolyn"
wrote:

How do you remove the sludge without emptying the whole pond?

Shop Vac works if it is small enough to reach with the hose end.

If it is a large pond it might be easier to drain, however it is
possible to hook up a pond pump with a leaf catcher in the line (to
protect the pump.) and vacuum the bottom with that. That usually
means the pump has to be in the pond. I've done it with an external
pump above the waterline by priming the pump and lines with a Shop
Vac, but laying out lines and priming the pump is lots of work and I
gave up on that after a couple cleanings, but it did work.

There are available for sale pond vac's too, but they are a bit
expensive, I think the cheapest ones start around $200.

Regards,

Hal