Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ALAN ALAN is offline

Default How to get a fine tilth in iron hard land?

Hi Chris,

I have the same problem in my garden - heavy clay. I'm gradually working my
way round it by digging it over to a spade depth - sometimes using a pick,
chopping up the soil, and mixing the top few inches with generous
quantities of well rotted horse manure which is free from a local stables,
and sharp sand which can be bought from any builders merchants or DIY sheds
at around £1.50 a bag.

Hard work but should only need doing once - and is working fine so far.

Hope this helps - good luck

Alan

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I want to get a fine tilth for sowing parsnip seeds - and the ground is
hard as iron ... not baked clods ... but rather a hard smooth surface.
What can I do?
--
Chris