Old 29-03-2003, 12:20 AM
LeighMo

Default onyx sand?

Is onyx sand easier to wash than flourite? It took me hours to wash flourite
before using it in the aquarium.

Onyx is harder to rinse than Flourite, IME.
But you shouldn't have to spend hours rinsing either of them. As someone else
said, let gravity and filtration do the work. You will have to change your
filter media the first day or two after putting in the substrate, though.

As for the chemistry, which I forgot to answer before...Onyx does raise your KH
and GH. A lot at first, but it kind of wears off with time. Flourite,
OTOH...though Seachem claims it's inert, many people have found it lowers the
pH, at least temporarily. This effect wears off fairly quickly, though.

Leigh