Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Joan[_2_] Joan[_2_] is offline

Default Brown water!

Oh okay, thanks. My only filter is a big bag of lava rock at the top
of my waterfall (in the plastic box where the water comes back in)
with plants growing on top of it. I have a skimmer at the other end,
where the pump is.

Do you mean I should just get some quilt batting and put it in the
skimmer? I can do that, and I'd gladly clean it every day if it will
help.

Do you think that will get that muddy stuff suspended in the water out
too? I tried running some of the muddy water through a cotton bag
(single thickness) and it didn't do anything at all, but maybe it
wasn't thick enough?

Thanks.

Joan

We used the garden lime in one of our ponds when we first started it up
about 10 years ago. My filter (upflow gravel) was able to trap the lime
onto the surface of the gravel. Water cleared within a few days. To remove
the lime, you might try the quilt batting that some use for removal of some
of the green water algae. If there is very much of the lime in the pond, it
will clog the quilt batting quickly, so it may need to be cleaned several
times.