Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Sunflowers have sprouted!

"betsyb" wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
link.net:

I'm so happy. I just glanced at the shelf I have the first 5 I
planted on, and they had all sprouted. Well pretty much, they're not
straight up yet, one's still half bent over, and one is almost
through the dirt, but good enough for me! I bought an already grown
miniature sunflower last year, and the dogs decided to use it for a
chewtoy. My animals(whether it be the dogs or the chickens or the
bunnies or the geese) are not plant friendly. At least Joxer(my cat)
hasn't bothered them. But he doesn't go outside anymore. Oh he acts
like he wants to, and whines/meows by the door for me to let him
out, but once I open the door, he turns and runs back in the house.

Yesterday my neighbor cut down my foot tall sunflower that I
carefully nursed through our late freeze. Never trust a man with a
weed-whacker. I should have realized he was having just TOO much fun
when the thing was still whirring constantly and he had pretty much
trimmed everything that wasn't moving. And then he moved to our
murky property line and BANG! my sunflower was gone before I could
scream, "STOP!"

Last year I planted about 60 of them. Not one grew.

I give.

Mine mowed down 2 Peony bushes when we lived iun Alaska. I wanted to
murder him on he spot.
They cost a fortune here.

Betsy

My neighbors (other neighbors, not the sunflower slayer) routinely smash
their peonies to bits. They hate them. The guy next to them, a first
time home owner, "weeded" out 12' of old peony bushes without knowing
what they were. He was about to throw them in my fire pit when I rescued
them and replanted them; they are growing in my yard now. As soon as the
foliage dies back, I'm going to get about three dozen red and yellow
tulips from him (he hates them, too) and move them over here. My
neighbors are crazy people. And here they thought *I* was nuts just
because I sometimes graze my horses on my lawn. At least I have flowers
in my yard.