Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Cox ride-on mower throws belts.

Max wrote:
len garden wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2007 14:26:28 +1000, Max wrote:

snipped
snipped

That old snapper really did need quite a bit of work. As I said, the
prices of even used mowers up here is through the roof. There are
quite a few people up here that make a good side earning from buying
riders from down south, doing them up and flogging them up here.
That bloke has had that snapper for years. He just keeps it so he
can use it in his classified adds as advertised for $500, then when
you get there and realize what a bomb it is, he tries to sell you one
worth from $1200 to $1900. It nearly worked on the misses too. g

yeh sounds like rip off country hey, might be worth your while to do a
trip to brissy and see what's around down here? he certainly seems
like he has the attributes of a sales shark. from what i hear doubt i
would pay that much for it.

Good on ya.Its a sales trick. I used to install electrical appliances
and they used to stock one brand,which people would come in for, and
they would steer customers onto another brand which they could make
more profit on, but they would never actually sell, but as the other
brands were always on consignment, wouldnt cost the much to stock, and
eventually the company owning those machines would allow a discounted
sale price on them so the company would have a "SALE" at never ever to
be repeated prices.

snipped

Tyres, a rear one is flat (both look a little on the bald side) and
would need either a new tube, or maybe both back ones filled with
sealant. The front ones are hard rubber and look a little small for
my liking.

tyres would be the least worry theya re standard size and available
from any equipment store, even if theya re not exactly the same
profile so long as they are the right size for the rim, if the rubber
itself isn't completely shot fit a couple of new tubes.

as i recall they used to ahve pump up front tyres so it sounds like
waht he has done is not original, but there again if it works! all it
has to do si steer the machine and kep the front off the ground.

The clutch and brake cables are both made from that soft clothes line
wire, and are near to breaking. I thought maybe they could be
replaced with uni-cables like we used to use on motor bikes. $?

that doesn't sound right at all cables should be standard looking
cables you know plack plastic coated felexible coiled wire outer with
fine wire rope configured cable sliding throuhg the middle, this sort
of cable can be bought and made up if genuine is not available. yes
motor bike cable would do the trick.

The blades have had the Richard as has the seat. He suggested
replacing the the fixed blade rotor assembly with a swinging blade
type. $75?

they did originally have a single cutter bar blade, now there are lots
of other rider models with this system they may well be
interchangable?

snipped

I wasn't sure about the front steering linkages, as in, how much play
is acceptable. From memory it has a sort of go-cart set-up, with
what looks like push-bike handle bars.

the steering was basic i think a 't' handle configuration, linkages
can oftern be made up of other material or fitted from another model
so long as the front wheels steer.

but anyway still sounds a bomb, which doesn't give you many options at
this stage, are the prices anymore resonable down in cairns?

snipped

Chris (the misses) has owned a blue Rover Rancher with three forward
and one reverse gear. She says it was very good. That is what we
shall keep our eyes out for I think. She said she couldn't get it
into reverse gear though it was possible.

they are getting long in the tooth now, you would be ahrd pushed
findig one of them that wasn't fit for more than scarp metal, and the
later red model rancher just wasn't the same quality chassis.

Actually, now that I come to think about it, that bloke with the
snapper had Rover Rancher he was doing up. He had replaced the motor
with a B$S and was waiting on parts for the gearbox. He wanted $1200
for it. What do you think Len, was it worth it?

again you are there 'max' 1299 is a lot but the rancher is more local
and parts should be easier to get maybe not cheap but easier, but at
least if you buy it then look for opportunities to buy another
scrapper for parts etc.,.

On the topic of trees, Chris thanks you for your above ground
suggestion for fruit trees. One of the things that keeled over was a
young avocado tree.

that is why i suggested planting in a raised position, avo's like it
well drained.

snipped
timber getter of more than 30 years experience, with his own portable
mill. If anyone would know what we should do it's him.

he sounds like the bloke he could then mill the timber and you could
use that, just watch that the shire council doesn't ahve a
preservatiuon order on those sort of trees.

Really glad I found this newsgroup, I am enjoying chatting with
everyone here very much.

Remain in light.
-Max

Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

There seams to be quite a few retired mechanics around here doing up
riders and flogging them off. Cairns is slightly better price wise, but
not much. A trip to brissy as you suggest could well be in order.

I think they call those cables with an inner and an outer,
"Bowden cables". I tend to call them uni-cables because of my of time
as a bike mechanic at a mate's a trail bike hire in Meni, just next to
the atomic reactor. The genuine cables cost a lot more than the
non-genuine uni-cables we fitted. With a squirt of graphite powder down
the guts, they would last dam near as long too.

I could well be wrong about those front tyres being solid. I have seen
more riders (and a few shopping trolleys :-) ) lately than you could
poke a stick at. It all gets to be a bit of a blur after a while. g

The reason I thought the old snapper may be the go, was because I could
probably keep it going long enough to tame this block enough to make it
worth while getting something nice. But the fact that it had a flat
meant that I couldn't even take it for a drive to test out the gears and
drive trains.

Anyway, patience in a virtue! :-) We will find something good by the
end of the next wet, I'm sure. I will take all that you, Jonno and
Bronwyn have said into account when I make my final decision.

The council doesn't seam to mind too much about trees on private blocks.
You should have seen the amount of trees people cut down after Larry!
Whole rows of huge pines and natives. Anything that people thought
even had a slight chance of falling on their house in the next one,
went. I am sure people cut down five times the amount of trees that
Larry blue over.

The other thing that every single one of died from the wet was the
conifers, we have pretty well given up on them. They just aren't very
hardy. First they struggled during the dry, in spite of all the water
we gave them, then when the wet came it killed them stone dead. Some
plants are hard to please! g

Touch wood, aus.gardens seams amazingly free of trolls, flame wars and
spam. Nice to see.

Remain in light.
-Max

Just dont upset them or disagree with them. (huge grin) Their knowledge
is a precious possession and is not easy to get anyone to change their
mind at times. I'm sort of all for that, but can be stood to be corrected...
Nothing is certain in a search for knowledge, but if we let
personalities get in the way its a longer trip...