Old 09-05-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Worm castings as top dressing

"William Rose" wrote in message

Actually, I meant to say oat hay but on reflection I think straw would
do it but, then again I have no idea what I'm saying. Every profession
has it's own meaning for words and I'm just an average Joe (named Bill).
All I know is that I saw an ad in the paper for hay last year. I got me
three bales for $10 and enjoyed sitting on two of them for most of the
summer.

And that was the best thing you could have done with the hay. Hay bails are
best if they are allowed to 'mature' in contact with the soil and turned
once a month. It starts the rotting process happening. Fresh ahy can be
quite water reppelant when new.

I might even move-up to the high priced alfalfa.

You will get no better soil food than lucerne (aka alfalfa).