Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Dave is offline

Default Another New Lawn Question

"jeffc" wrote in message

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

My question is, once most or all the seed is germinated, how much should
I water? I had been watering 4X a day to keep the seed bed damp at all
times as instructed by the lawncare company. I have a sprinkler system,
so watering is no problem.

4 times a day sounds like way overkill to me. It's just not necessary.
For the first week after it germinates, once a day. After that 2 or 3
times a week for the next couple weeks. But I don't know where you live
or your soil, so I assume it goes without saying to check with the company
you bought from, or the seed company.

4X a day may not be too much. Other than soil type and geographical
location. Depends on whether there's overcast/cloudy all day, humidity,
direct sun all day, direct sun exposure time, actual temperature, weather
aided moisture with rain/drizzle and so forth. Bare soil is difficult to
keep moist on the immediate surface in most conditions. That's where the
seed is.
Dave