Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default How to get a fine tilth in iron hard land?

On 8 May, 12:18, Chris ] wrote:
I want to get a fine tilth for sowing parsnip seeds - and the ground is
hard as iron ... not baked clods ... but rather a hard smooth surface.
What can I do?

Aaarghhh ... poor you. There's no quick remedy. Took me a season to
break through (though unlike you I wasn't in any hurry and timing was
right). I added 1/2 ton of manure on top, no dig, no rotavate, let the
rain and worms do their thing. Then 3 weeks ago I digged, half a
spade, don't go deep, and raked, and raked and raked, until I got a
fine tilth. I added some sand and I surrounded the plot with lavender
and rosemary and I've got carrots and parsnips in there now. The other
1/2 ton of manure went on another side, hard as nail, did the same and
put in jerusalem artichoks.

If you have another plot/site like this, work at it in the autumn,
ready for spring. Rain, worms, snow and frost will break it down to a
fine soil. Every autumn, add manure and leave it to do its thing.
That's how you get a fine soil. No digging necessary.