Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what shrub is this?

In message . com, Dave
Poole writes
Difficult to be absolutely certain, but it looks very like Raphiolepis
umbellata to me. I can never understand why these 'Indian Hawthorns'
have never quite caught on UK gardens. They are tough, resilient
evergreens with attractive flowers, foliage and berries. Very few
grow much more than shoulder height and once planted they don't need
masses of attention. Ideal for small gardens, low hedges etc.

I agree that it looks very like, but having checked Flora of China
(URL:http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=128270)
there appears to be a botanical detail which contradicts this
identification. The flowers of Rhapiolepis have 2 or less commonly 3
styles (2 in R. umbellata); the flowers of this shrub have 4.

For a comparison see
http://kaihu3.blog5.fc2.com/blog-entry-156.html
http://blog5.fc2.com/k/kaihu3/file/0...mbellata-1.jpg

Another point is that the leaves appeared to have a brown indumentum on
the undersides (contributing to the appearance of a Rhododendron at a
distant glance). On this ground I briefly considered Rhaphiolepis
ferruginea.

It's not Eriobotrya japonica, but I wonder if it's one of the other
loquats.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley